Wentworth Institute of Technology
SME Student Section: S007
Chartered April 30, 1981
Fall, 2013 Activities
Newest WIT section S007
These students passed the Fundamentals of Manufacturing Exam qualifying them as Certified Manufacturing Technologists (CMfgT). They are eligible to take the Certified Manufacturing Engineering (CMfgE) Exam after 3 years of work in the field. For more information on how to take the exam here at WIT please contact Prof. Rourke: firstname.lastname@example.org
Update your SME profile to belong to SME S007!
· Log in to your SME account and view your profile
· Click on the Membership Info tab on the left column
· View your Primary Chapter. If it is not WIT, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with the subject line: Chapter Change Request, and contents including
o Your name
o Member number
o Current Chapter assignment (if any)
o Request a change to Wentworth Institute of Technology, S007 Chapter
SME Annual Conference: Baltimore 2013
Renaissance Harborplace Hotel
From June2-4, William Powers and Ajai Depina attended the first SME conference for Wentworth. Over three days they went to various talks and presentations regarding manufacturing and its future in the world, while also meeting many contacts in their respective parts of the industry. Previously referred to as “Society of Manufacturing Engineering”, the organization changed its name to just “SME”. The vision, mission, and purpose statements were also changed to guide SME in a better and more relevant direction. All of these alterations were done to adapt to the fast paced and changing world we live in. Please visit sme.org to see the changes and what the new SME is all about.
Open House, Thursday, March 28th
at The Manufacturing Center, Williston Hall
Open from noon until 5:00pm
All faculty, staff and guests are invited to drop by the new facility to check out the equipment and processes available to all students in all curriculums. SME Student Chapter members will be at the various machines with demonstration parts. You can see part process simulations, machining centers, rapid prototyping, and welding. There will even be a metal pour in the foundry at 3:00pm (space limited).
A special invitation is extended to all local SME members. We hope to see visitors from the Boston Senior Chapter, and students from the Boston University Student Chapter.
Spring, 2013 Activities
Please attend the first meeting: Monday, January 14th at 4:00pm in the Manufacturing Center. An agenda item will be programming. Here are a couple of ideas:
· Student Open Lab Day: Invite students that did not get a chance as freshman to participate in foundry or welding activities to come into the lab and try their hand at it.
· Faculty/Staff Open House: many have not yet seen the new facility. I’d like to have a SME member stationed at every machine with a demonstration available for those interested in what is going on in our new digs.
· Design contest for the plasma cutter. This equipment is much underutilized. I am hoping that by showcasing it’s abilities we can get it into the curriculum.
Please mark your calendars for the day.
Fall, 2012 Activities
Please congratulate our newest Certified Manufacturing Technologists, CMfgT.
These students passed our August 1st Fundamentals of Manufacturing exam. Our next attempt will be around Thanksgiving. Watch this space for details
Methods Machine Tools has invited the SME student section to their open house. June 15 is specifically set aside for students interested in the machine tool field. Bring your resume. Please join us attending:
Rapid Prototyping with Objet Technology
The Advanced Manufacturing Topics students will be taking the Fundamentals of Manufacturing Exam as part of their coursework this summer. The exam leads to the Certified Manufacturing Engineering Technologist credential. The exam date and time has been set to:
5:30 – 8:30pm on Wednesday August 1, 2012. The room assignment is being worked on.
Page edited: February 26, 2014